- Serves 10
- 7-8 bone rack of veal
- 8 strips of streaky bacon (rind off short cut)
- 1 bunch of rosemary picked
- 1 bunch of sage picked
- 2 cloves garlic
- 10 pickling onions
- Butchers string
(Product available at Barbeques Galore Stores)
- 1 x BBQ
- 1 x Bar-B-Chef Roast Holder & Enamel Drip Tray
- 1 x Bar-B-Chef Smoker Box
- 1 x Bar-B-Chef Remote Thermometer
- Rub the meat with salt and pepper and olive oil. Cover the loin of meat with the picked herbs and the wrap one piece of streaky bacon around the veal between each gap between the bones and tie with butchers string to secure.
- Preheat your bbq for indirect cooking (outside burners on and the middle ones off) at about 250 degrees.
- Peel and halve the onions and line the bottom of a Bar-B-Chef Enamel Drip tray with them and then pour over a cup of water.
- Place the loin of veal on your Bar-B-Chef Roast Holder over the top of the onions and place into a hot bbq at about 250 degrees. Insert the Bar-B-Chef Remote BBQ Thermometer and set for beef (medium rare or how ever you prefer) pull the lid down and cook for 15 minutes at 250 degrees, then turn down to 180 and cook for a further 40-45 minutes or until the Bar-B- Chef Remote Thermometer tells you the desired temperature is reached. Keep the water level in the tray constant to stop the onions from burning. This will become your gravy.
- Remove from the BBQ and allow to rest for half the amount of time the meat cooked for (covered with foil). Carve each person a piece of veal with a bone attached a little bacon and crispy herbs.