BBQ Roasted Baby Beets
- Prep Time:N/A
- Cooking Time:N/A
- 12 golf ball size beetroots (mixed colour if possible) stem and leaves left on
- 2 tablespoons of picked thyme leaves
- 100ml balsamic vinegar
- 100ml water
- 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic simply squashed (skin on)
- Thick al-foil or A3 Q-bag
- First scrub and clean the beetroots. Wash well between the leaves and stalks. Leave the long root shoot on, don’t remove these as the beets will bleed and loose their concentration of flavour.
- Toss them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme, garlic the balsamic and water. Place the beetroot and seasoning in to a double thickness foil pouch then fold over twice to seal tightly. These can then be cooked either using an indirect cooking method at the same time as any meat dish or alternatively using a direct method of cooking. They will take about 40 minutes on a medium heat. Cook until tender, then uncover and roast until they start to crisp in in parts and then allow cooling slightly.
- Remove any burnt bits and then cut the beets to reveal their colour and mix them with the soft cooked leaves.
- Finally drizzle with the remaining balsamic, the beet juices from the roasting bag and olive oil over the salad and a squeeze of 1/4 lemon.