The following recipe is taken from the The Modern Barbeque Cookbook by Ziegler & Brown by Barbeques Galore.
- Prep Time:N/A
- Cooking Time:2h 20m
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1kg (2 pounds) chuck steak, cut into
3cm (1¼-inch) pieces
- 2 tablespoons plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), chopped coarsely
- 2 medium carrots (240g), chopped coarsely
- 2 stalks celery (300g), trimmed, chopped coarsely
- 800g (1½ pounds) canned diced tomatoes
- 420g (13½ ounces) canned condensed tomato
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) water
- ½ cup (100g) pearl barley
- 150g (4½ ounces) packet croûtons
- Set up trivet.
- Heat oil in large heavy saucepan on HIGH; cook beef, stirring, until browned. Add flour, onion, carrot and celery; cook, stirring, until onion softens.
- Add undrained tomatoes, tomato soup, the water and barley; cook with a lid, on LOW, stirring, about 2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Serve stew topped with croûtons.
- TIP: Make your own croûtons by cutting ciabatta bread into 2cm cubes. Drizzle with olive oil and place on optional hotplate, smooth side up, on HIGH, turning occasionally, for 20 minutes or until browned lightly and crisp.