nutritional count per serving 27.1g total fat (7.6g saturated fat); 2454kJ (587 cal); 19.7g carbohydrate; 64.1g protein; 2.8g fibre
You need two bunches of rocket (arugula) for this recipe. Use a good quality chicken stock instead of the consommé, if you prefer. Ask the butcher to butterfly the turkey for you.
- Prep Time:2 hours 15 minutes
- Cooking Time:2 hours 15 minutes
- ¾ cup (180ml) chicken consommé
- ¾ cup (150g) couscous
- 4 medium tomatoes (600g), seeded, chopped finely
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 3kg (6-pound) whole turkey, butterflied
- 20g (¾ ounce) butter, melted
- strawberry and cherry salad
- 500g (1 pound) rocket (arugula), trimmed
- 250g (8 ounces) strawberries, hulled, halved
- 250g (8 ounces) cherries, seeded
- ¼ cup (60ml) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded fresh basil
- Bring consommé to the boil in small saucepan. Add couscous; cover, stand about 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, fluffing with fork occasionally.
- Combine couscous with tomato, parsley, garlic and rind in medium bowl; season to taste.
- Carefully ease skin away from turkey breasts and thighs. Push couscous mixture evenly under skin; brush turkey with butter.
- Place turkey, skin-side up, in deep disposable baking dish. Cook turkey in covered barbecue, using indirect heat, about 1¾ hours, basting occasionally with pan juices. Remove from barbecue; cover loosely with foil, stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make strawberry and cherry salad.
- Serve turkey with salad.
strawberry and cherry salad Place ingredients in large bowl; toss gently to combine.