Ziegler & Brown has some delicious and healthy recipes to cook your Ziggy BBQ.
- Prep Time:20
- Cooking Time:15 -20
- 12 chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons tamari or coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or other good-quality fat, melted
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 1 small handful of mixed Thai basil leaves, coriander leaves and Vietnamese mint leaves
- Fried shallots and chillies: 250 ml (1 cup) coconut oil, 4 French shallots: finely sliced, 2 long red chillies: thinly sliced
- To make the marinade, combine the tamari or coconut aminos, oil or fat, fish sauce, honey (if using), garlic, spring onion, chilli flakes and Chinese five spice in a large bowl and whisk well.
- Add the chicken wings to the marinade and turn until the chicken is well coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or ideally overnight.
- Preheat the BBQ to 200°C.
- Place chicken wings directly onto the BBQ turning occasionally, for 15–20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, to make the fried shallots, melt the oil or fat in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook for 2–3 minutes until golden. Remove the shallots with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- To make the fried chillies, add the sliced chilli to the same coconut oil and cook for a few minutes, or until the chilli starts to turn a light golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Arrange the chicken wings on a serving platter and sprinkle with the Asian herbs and as many fried shallots and chillies as desired. Any leftover fried shallots or chillies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week.