Barbeques Galore Alcohol Policy
Wine and other alcoholic beverages are only allowed by pre-approved sellers who hold a valid liquor licence. Buyers must be over 18 years of age.
This policy was updated on 4th December 2023 and is effective as of this date.
Most alcohol products may be sold on barbequesgalore.com.au. However, there are different state laws on trading alcohol (see our Helpful links for relevant legislation from each state) and it is up to the seller to ensure that they are meeting all legal requirements, including holding the correct liquor licences.
What is the policy?
- The sale of alcohol products is restricted to pre-approved sellers*, who must:
- Hold the required liquor licence(s) and display their applicable licence number(s) in the listing
- Ensure their listings and products comply with the Alcohol Beverages Advertising Code (ABAC)
- Only offer domestic postage and select a delivery service with age verification upon delivery
- Not sell to customers located in dry zones
- Include this disclaimer in their description verbatim:
Buyers must be at least 18 years old and located outside a designated dry zone to purchase alcohol.
- Collectable alcohol containers may be sold, but must be empty
- The sale of stills for the distillation of alcohol is subject to the following requirements:
- Stills over five litres capacity cannot be bought, sold or possessed without permission from the Australian Taxation Office
- Regardless of the size of the still used, distillation of alcohol at home without an excise licence is illegal
*To apply for approval to list in the Alcoholic Drinks & Mixers category, please contact us. Be ready to provide your liquor licence number(s), Australian Business Number (ABN) or Australian Company Number (ACN), registered business name and website. Approval to list in the category will be at Barbeques Galore's discretion.
Activity that doesn't follow Barbeques Galore's policy, including the use of invalid licence numbers in listings, could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or cancelling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.
Barbeques Galore requires buyers to provide their date of birth at checkout when paying for items listed in the Alcoholic Drinks & Mixers category. Sellers then see a message in the order details confirming that the buyer entered a date of birth indicating that they are over 18. (The actual date of birth is not shared with the seller.)
Some areas in Australia are considered 'dry zones'. A dry zone is an area where the consumption of alcohol is restricted or prohibited. Barbeques Galore may block a transaction if a buyer is located in a dry zone and sellers must not sell to customers located in dry zones.
Why does Barbeques Galore have this policy?
This policy helps you follow important federal and state regulations.
For more information about the rules for your state or the state(s) you're posting to, see: