Balsamic honey barbecue sauce Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; cook onion and garlic, stirring, until softened. Add remaining ingredients and reserved cooking liquid; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until reduced by half. Season to taste.
nutritional count per serving 30.9g total fat (5.1g saturated fat); 4130kJ (987 cal); 114.8g carbohydrate; 56.8g protein; 7.3g fibre
You could use pork scotch fillet (neck) for this recipe.
- Prep Time:03 Hours 45 minutes
- Cooking Time:03 Hours 45 minutes
800g (1½-pound) piece trimmed pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large brown onion (200g), chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 cups (500ml) chicken stock
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 4 brioche buns (280g), split
cabbage & radish coleslaw
- 200g (6½ ounces) cabbage, sliced thinly
- 4 trimmed radishes (60g), sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- ¾ cup (150g) mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
balsamic honey barbecue sauce
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small brown onion (80g), chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup (250ml) balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup (140g) tomato sauce (ketchup)
- ¼ cup (55g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
01. Rub pork with oil and season. Cook pork on heated barbecue flat plate 2 minutes each side or until browned. Add onion, garlic and herbs; cook, stirring, 2 minutes or until softened. Transfer onion mixture and pork to a large disposable barbecue baking dish. Add stock and the water, bring to the boil.
02. Cover the dish tightly with foil. Cook pork, in dish, with barbecue lid closed, using indirect heat, following manufacturer’s instructions for 2 hours. Remove the foil; cook in covered barbecue a further 1 hour or until pork is tender.
03. Meanwhile, make cabbage and radish coleslaw.
04. Remove pork from dish, cover to keep warm; set aside. Strain cooking liquid into a medium bowl; discard solids. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
05. Make balsamic honey barbecue sauce.
06. Shred pork then stir through barbecue sauce. Sandwich buns with shredded pork and coleslaw.
cabbage & radish coleslaw Combine ingredients in a large bowl; season to taste. Refrigerate until required.