You can’t go past warm French toast on a lazy Sunday morning. Make it on your BBQ for that extra toasty flavour. You’ll need a flat hotplate.
We used the Ziegler and Brown Twin Grill with optional reversible hotplate.
- Prep Time:N/A
- Cooking Time:20 - 25
- 2 thick slices of bread
- 2 slices of streaky bacon
- 3 eggs
- 30ml milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 100g butter, softened
- 20g toasted pecan nuts, chopped
- 20ml maple syrup
- 20g sugar
- Remove one grill and replace with optional flat hotplate, smooth side up
- Turn on the burner directly under the hotplate and wait a few minutes until the hotplate has heated up.
- Cook the bacon on the hotplate with the hood open for approximately 10 minutes till crispy, set aside
- Mix sugar and cinnamon together, set aside
- In a bowl mix the butter, maple syrup and pecans. Once mixed place on a piece of cling wrap.
- Form the butter mix into a log shape in the centre of the cling wrap and fold cling wrap over it. Roll into a log holding both ends of the log rolling it towards you. tie off the ends and place in the fridge to set.
- In a bowl whisk eggs and milk together. One at a time lay the bread in the egg mix to soak it up, turn bread carefully once so there is an even soak
- Oil the hotplate and once hot, fry the eggy bread until golden brown on both sides (approximately 3-4 minutes each side) and the center feels firm to the touch, if soggy continue to cook on a low heat.
- Once cooked, dust the bread with the sugar and slice the butter on top of the hot toast so it melts over the surface, serve with the cooked bacon